Drill - versatile tool, without which it simply can not do during the repairs of all kinds of difficulty. Today, there are so many kinds of drills, and therefore it is very important not to make a mistake and make the right choice, so then it does not have to be replaced, or simply throw away such a tool in the event of premature failure. Site renovated apartment with his hands tells how to make the right choice.
Substantially all of the drill only differ in their appearance (diameter and), as well as material, for which they are intended and, Consequently, sharpened. Respectively, you must initially choose the size of the drill (need to, It corresponds to such a tool material thickness, be drilled, or as self-tapping screws, anchors, etc.). Further, you should pick up a drill according to the work, to be held.
Choosing a drill for metal
Drills for metal from the usual (refers to those, which are used for the treatment of wood) They are characterized by their versatility. Such a tool is indispensable when working with metals and it can be used to create holes in alloyed and unalloyed steels, Metal Ceramics, cast iron and non-ferrous metals.
The most common today are twist drills for metal. Usually, such drills for metal are cylindrical rod, wherein two helical grooves are formed, forming cutting edges. These grooves are performed at an angle of 10-45 ° to the axis of the cutting tool.
You need to pay attention also to the material, from which the drill bit is made. To date, the most qualitative tools for metal processing is made from high-speed steel (eg, R6M5) or else alloyed (9HS). These drills have improved durability and strength, as well as provide an opportunity to achieve maximum results in the course of work.
Choosing a drill on concrete
Concrete - a solid and powerful material, process which is very difficult to, especially drilled hole. Usually, Concrete used for drilling special drill with a carbide tipped tungsten and cobalt ("Win"). Besides, through the use of modern technology in the manufacture of cutting tools, appeared on the market a drill, made from modified alloys volframokobaltovyh.
For the treatment of brick or concrete, use a drill, in which the tips of the soft or medium soft. In the same case, if you want to process the granite or other solid materials (eg, the same tile), without the use of drills pobeditovye plates with medium and high hardness (in addition to them, a series of teeth and back sharpening) simply can not do.
Wood drills: how to choose?
For wood modern market offers a wide range of highly specialized cutting tool. In particular, working with wood is simply impossible to imagine without the use of the three main types of drills:
- Twist drills - sharpened metal spiral, which is used to create a timber of small diameter orifices (8-28 mm), but rather a substantial depth (300-600 mm). Due to its spiral form such a tool very easily be deduced from the work area after completing the.
- feather drills, usually, apply in cases, when you need to create some blind bore into the wood with a diameter 10 mm and more. It should be noted, what a drill can only be used to create holes, since in the absence of cutting edges drilled on the side of the already existing is simply impossible.
- cylindrical (ring, crown) drills are widely used to create large diameter holes (from 26 mm). The main advantage of using such drills is possible to obtain accurate holes without burrs and other defects, as well as high treatment efficiency.
General recommendations when selecting drills
Choosing a drill to work, you must pay attention to their appearance. Tool, if it is a really high quality, should not have chips, dents, scratches and other defects. Cutting edges should be sharpened quality along the entire length and have a uniform color.
When selecting drills, regardless of the material, for which they are intended processing, We need to pay attention to their color - on it is easy to determine the finish hardening treatment, which was held:
- Gray - steel - processing is carried out.
- Black - drill was treated with superheated steam for hardening.
- Labrador - drill processing rental passed to relieve internal stress of the metal.
- Bright gold - on the tool surface a layer of titanium nitride, designed to harden it and extend the life of.
Do not be amiss to mention the fact, that the choice of the drill is necessary to pay attention also to the firm - producer. It is best to give preference to eminent companies, that in the market there are more than one year. Only in this way can prevent forgery and extra spending cash.